Sunday, March 6, 2011

Reflection and goal time

Before I start I should top up my coffee mug. Be right back.

I might as well start by looking over the goals and commenting on each one. Likely boasting about the ones I accomplished and justifying the ones that we not achieved.

  • one chapter per day of Home Comforts (Mendelson, 1999)  I read a total of three chapters and learned all about synthetic fabrics, food storage, and folding linens. I am looking forward to the day when all the lessons about folding fitting sheets evolve into being a skilled fitted sheet folder but for know it remains potential. 
  • walk at least on hour per week day.  Nope. A few 10-15 minute walks but it was cold, slippery and windy here and I had no desire to bundle up just for the sake of reaching this goal.
  • use the telephone and chat with a friend. Rather awkwardly arranged this via facebook messages. Perhaps next week I shall try having spontaneously calling a friend as a goal.
  • write and mail three or four letters. I wrote one letter.  Another unreached goal.
  • work on my taxes. This one, as you've already read, is done.
So what happened to my big plans for self-improvement and growth? In typical me style I suspect I avoided the pressure of expectations by over-performing in other areas. It is likely not a coincidence that in the last seven days I baked a pie and two loaves of bread. Or that I sorted through every storage container that I have tucked away in the basement. Or that I vacuumed/dusted every surface of this house. I'd be disheartened about my failures last week if I didn't have strong list of unrelated successes.

Onto goals for myself for the next week.

  1. Write and mail two letters.
  2. Part with clothing that no longer fits my size or lifestyle.
  3. Read three more chapters of Home Comforts (Mendelson, 1999)

No comments:

Post a Comment